Become a part of the ultimate equalizer for people with disabilities – Join Us!
Vermont Adaptive succeeds because of its more than 400 dedicated volunteers. We are searching for energetic, dedicated individuals who have a passion for sports and want to share that passion with others. Our volunteers dedicate their free time to help individuals with disabilities rediscover their abilities and achieve their dreams. They are from all walks of life but have one mission in mind – to help those with disabilities enjoy sports and recreation on a daily basis.
We, as an organization, recognize the need to protect the individuals we serve while preserving the integrity and reputation of the organization. In keeping with current industry standards, for the protection of individuals and the management of risk, we ask all new and returning volunteers to complete the volunteer application process to become a Vermont Adaptive volunteer:
Process and Prerequisites:
- Be an advanced intermediate level skier/rider (winter prerequisite) or an experienced cyclist, rock climber or paddler (summer prerequisite) depending on the activity you want to volunteer for.
- Be willing to volunteer 5 days per year in addition to your training days.
- Be willing to volunteer at one of our special events or fundraising events.
How to apply to be a volunteer.
- Fill out an annual volunteer application by clicking here online.
- Complete a Waiver. Download the waiver here and mail it back to our office.
- A background check is required for all volunteers over the age of 18 before a volunteer can attend trainings or volunteer. Fee for this varies state to state. You will receive a link to complete your background check once your full application has been received by a program coordinator and approved.
- Returning Volunteers - The industry standard for background checks is 3-5 years. When your background check is up for renewal, a staff member from Vermont Adaptive will communicate with you that you must complete a background check again. Please click this link to do that.
PLEASE NOTE - We will NOT email you a link for a background check until we have received all of your paperwork and online volunteer application. Once we receive the application and your background check has been completed and approved, you will be added to our coordinator email distribution list to learn more about volunteer opportunities or important announcements, dates and events.
The final step in the process is:
- MANDATORY- Attend 3 days of training for winter volunteers (one-day off snow training and two-day on snow training).
2016-17 Off-Snow Volunteer Training
Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016 - Pico Mountain (new and returning volunteers)
Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2016 - Bolton Valley Ski Area (returning volunteers only)
Monday, Nov. 14, 2016 - Pico Mountain (returning volunteers only)
Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016 - Sugarbush Resort (returning volunteers only)
Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016 - Bolton Valley Ski Area (new and returning volunteers)
Sunday, Nov. 20, 2016 - Sugarbush Resort (new and returning volunteers)
- MANDATORY - intermediate level skier or snowboarder.