Become a part of the ultimate equalizer for people with disabilities – Join Us!
Vermont Adaptive succeeds because of its more than 400 dedicated volunteers. We are searching for energetic, dedicated individuals who have a passion for sports and want to share that passion with others. Our volunteers dedicate their free time to help individuals with disabilities rediscover their abilities and achieve their dreams. They are from all walks of life but have one mission in mind – to help those with disabilities enjoy sports and recreation on a daily basis.
We, as an organization, recognize the need to protect the individuals we serve while preserving the integrity and reputation of the organization. In keeping with current industry standards, for the protection of individuals and the management of risk, we ask all new and returning volunteers to complete the volunteer application process to become a Vermont Adaptive volunteer:
Process and Prerequisites:
- Be an advanced intermediate level skier/rider (winter prerequisite) or an experienced cyclist, rock climber or paddler (summer prerequisite) depending on the activity you want to volunteer for.
- Be willing to volunteer 5 days per year in addition to your training days.
- Be willing to volunteer at one of our special events or fundraising events.
How to apply to be a volunteer.
- Fill out an annual volunteer application by clicking here online.
- Complete a Waiver. Download the waiver here and mail it back to our office.
- Complete a background check consent form (for volunteers 18 or older). Download the form here and mail it back to our office. A background check is required for all volunteers over the age of 18 before a volunteer can attend trainings or volunteer.
- Returning Volunteers - The industry standard for background checks is 3-5 years. When your background check is up for renewal, a staff member from Vermont Adaptive will communicate with you that you must fill out the background check form and submit that with the $30 fee in order to continue to volunteer.
New Volunteer Administration Fee - $30
There is a $30 administration fee for all new volunteers, which covers new volunteer processing, training/education, uniforms, and support. This fee must be paid in full before your application is finalized. A background check is required for all volunteers 18 and older before a volunteer can attend trainings or volunteer. Please enclose your check with your signed waivers and background check consent form and return to our office. Financial assistance is available on an as needed basis.
Office Mailing Address: Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports, Attn: Volunteer Processing, PO Box 139, Killington, VT 05751
PLEASE NOTE - We will NOT submit your information for a background check until we have received all of your paperwork and online volunteer application. Once we receive the application and your background check has been completed and approved, you will be added to our coordinator email distribution list to learn more about volunteer opportunities or important announcements, dates and events.
The final step in the process is:
- MANDATORY- Attend cycling and paddling orientation (after completing paperwork above). Contact Senior Programming Coordinator Tom Alcorn at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Limited enrollment available for paddleboard instruction and certification.
2016 Land/Water Summer Orientation
Saturday, June 11 - Chittenden Reservoir, 10am-4pm
Saturday, June 18 - Burlington Waterfront, 10am-4pm
- MANDATORY - Prior experience paddling or cycling.